Sunday, June 25, 2017

The art of boredom

Just last week, a mother of a 15 month old was telling me that she wished that her daughter would take the ipad and pay attention to it.  You look around and 8 out of 10 people are looking at a phone or device.  Children have been taught to be still, only with the device in their hand.

I am a parent trying to balance the use of devices.  In my opinion, they are not wrong, just used in the wrong way.

Learning to sit still has been taught to my children in church since they came out of the nursery.  They do not have a hard time.  They don't need anything to distract them.  They are paying attention to the singing, prayer, and preaching.

Sitting at the pharmacy, my son or daughter asks to play my phone.  My answer will always be no.  We can sit for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or 40 minutes depending on the day without a device in our hand.  How many more conversations do I have with my children because we are looking at each other?

When their school lessons are done, instruments are practiced, and they want to play on the device, that seems more reasonable.  Now if the sun is shining, and they haven't played outside, I have them play.  That is more beneficial.

The hardest part is not balancing devices for my children, it would be making sure I'm not on them too much.  I'm an adult; it's allowed.  We have to remember we are the example and that our children want to do everything that we do.  Even if it's playing on your phone while you're watching TV.   Something you would think is no big deal.

They are always watching.  Be what you want them to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment